Another thing people clicked “like” on this week was the backlash against Chik-Fil-A which good lord baby jesus I just don’t care about at all. “Voting with your dollar” against oppression doesn’t actually work and listening to people pretend that withholding money from an already heavily subsidized capitalist system will have an effect is just depressing to me. Also, as a great interview in The Nation this week discussed, an intense focus on “gay marriage” is actually damaging to larger efforts for true LGBTQ* justice. Basically what I’m saying is: glamarchy.
Finally – and I’m sure Molly knows actual tons more about this than I do – somebody’s running on a “black genocide” anti-choice platform in Kansas. RHRealityCheck picked up the story this week and I spent a good ten minutes wincing intermittently after I read it. Really, people?
I need to experience some simple pleasures after all that so here’s a scuzzy music video about skateboarding and hanging out with dogs.
*bonus points to the linked article for calling out Amanda Marcotte, who’s been on my shit list for awhile but whose intellectual laziness as of late is basically just insulting
Pearl has been trying hard to be a social human but tbh pooping parties is more fun
- RT @OUSoonerAlly: OU Housing and Food has taken in about 100 displaced families from Moore. If you want to help, drop off any... http://t.… 23 hours ago
- RT @prettyrickyroo: kaylee hawkins, 9, is from moore and at norman regional healthplex on i-35 and tecumseh. her parents aren't with her. c… 1 day ago
- If you are trying to get ahold of loved ones, texting is the most reliable method of communication. 1 day ago
- RT @TENEquality: The Cimarron Alliance Equality Center is accepting donations for those hit by the tornadoes. You can drop off... http://t.… 1 day ago
- Here is a list of shelters that those displaced by the tornado can seek refuge news9.com/story/22302745… 1 day ago
Tagsabortion activism anti-choice birth control community building conference contraception Dr. Tiller economic justice feminism feminist theory series fetal personhood gender healthcare heteronormativity intersectionality Justice for All Kansas legislation LGBTQ missouri news Oklahoma Oklahoma legislation personhood pop culture pregnancy public health queer race racism rape culture red state red states reproductive justice self care sex education sexual assault so you want to be an activist student activism take root take root 2013 Texas trans* weekly round up