Time to play catch-up with some sweet summertime anti-choice legislation updates!
As some of y’all may know, I moved from one flyover red state to another – Missouri – a few years back (although I live in a bluish city that some folks might be able to focus their eyes on for a millisecond or two before resting on Chicago). You may also remember hearing about the Blunt Amendment on the news when the “War on Women” meme first got started and states were throwing anti-choice legislation around like so many japes in a George R.R. Martin book.
Anyway, the Missouri legislature passed their version of the thing in June. The Blunt Amendment would have allowed employers to deny abortion and contraceptive coverage to their employees based on a conscience clause, which we all agreed was totally silly back when. Our fair governor looked like he might have wanted to let it slide, but wound up vetoing it the other day. Yay!
So this wasn’t Oklahoma news, but do keep in mind that something’s always cooking in the bananastown that is your home state’s anti-choice state legislature.
Pearl keeps forgetting to buy a day planner.
- Nuking the Nuclear: Mother’s Day and Mama’s Day ok4rj.org/2013/05/nuking… @strongfams @riotprrrl 4 days ago
- RT @TrustWomen: Requiring ID for #EC will limit access for more than just teenagers ok4rj.org/2013/05/im-gon… via @OK4RJ @cuteredhood 1 week ago
- Rodeo Roundup: Bomb Girls and Electric Ladies ok4rj.org/2013/05/rodeo-… 1 week ago
- ICYMI, @sandraholla responded to O'Brien's article from a #redstates #reprojustice perspective ok4rj.org/2013/04/the-st… 1 week ago
- What we're reading: MT @rhrealitycheck From #prochoice to #Reprojustice: Use this transitional time to talk goals. ow.ly/kRCX0 1 week ago
Tagsabortion activism anti-choice birth control community building conference contraception Dr. Tiller economic justice feminism feminist theory series fetal personhood gender healthcare heteronormativity intersectionality Justice for All Kansas legislation LGBTQ missouri news Oklahoma Oklahoma legislation personhood pop culture pregnancy public health queer race racism rape culture red state red states reproductive justice self care sex education sexual assault so you want to be an activist student activism take root take root 2013 Texas trans* weekly round up