Ableism – many AFAB (assigned female at birth) ciswomen are not able to menstruate or become pregnant – does this mean they aren’t women, either?
Nostalgia – Generally taking the form of hero-worship of certain feminist personalities despite problematic writings or statements (i.e. the current revival of 1990’s riot grrrl culture and Hanna-worship – and I should know).
Racism – closely related to nostalgia, (F)eminists spend a lot of time staring around and wondering where all the women of color are while erasing those women’s experiences and ignoring (F)eminism’s historic and continuing exclusion of those women through the decades.
General Lack of Intersectionality – Emblematized by the statement “My feminism will be intersectional or it will be bullshit.” This has led to folks explicitly labeling themselves as “intersectional feminists” if they still wish to identify as part of (F)eminism.
Of course, if someone actually does really and truly tell you they don’t want to be a feminist because they like wearing makeup and shaving their legs, feel free to uglylaugh in their face. But if you’re like me – basically the exact human that (F)eminism is aimed at – and someone comes with critical analysis of the movement? Drop the Steinem shield (it’s a NOW sign reinforced with Diva Cups) and LISTEN.
Pearl is blogging for Oklahomans for Reproductive Justice FROM OKLAHOMA. #feelings
- RT @SocialWorkersRJ: Stay strong and #FF @OK4RJ @PPHeartland @provide_access @PPCOK and everyone across #OK 1 day ago
- .@COHIntl are distributing dignity kits (hygiene products, underwear, & flashlights) today to women displaced by the storm in #Moore #okhelp 3 days ago
- #Tulsa area folks, here's a chance to help and heal with your community! #okhelp facebook.com/events/5217295… 3 days ago
- Spread the word! If you know someone in #Moore who needs vegan, gluten free, & nut free lunch, they can go to First Baptist on 27th #okhelp 3 days ago
- RT @OUSoonerAlly: OU Housing and Food has taken in about 100 displaced families from Moore. If you want to help, drop off any... http://t.… 4 days ago
Tagsabortion activism anti-choice birth control community building conference contraception Dr. Tiller economic justice feminism feminist theory series fetal personhood gender healthcare heteronormativity intersectionality Justice for All Kansas legislation LGBTQ missouri news Oklahoma Oklahoma legislation personhood pop culture pregnancy public health queer race racism rape culture red state red states reproductive justice self care sex education sexual assault so you want to be an activist student activism take root take root 2013 Texas trans* weekly round up